Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Memory of Onion Rings

Halloween was last weekend and as I was walking home from the bus stop today I was reminded of the chaos of the night of our pub crawl. It may have been the worst pub crawl in the histories of pub crawls. The evening started well, getting ready having a few drinks before leaving and eating chocolate. Halloween mini chocolate bar style. With a lift from my friend's parents (look at us in our approaching 30's, getting our parents to drive us ) we arrived at our destination of debauchery and tomfoolery. Where we waited, and waited, and waited to get inside to register for the evening. Foreshadowing of the evening. We ordered a drink and downed it quickly as we were soon off to our next destination where we waited in line once again  to get into the bar. Pub crawls on Halloween are made to help people get to and from bars with a quickness and ease. There's no waiting in line with pub crawls they have destinations planned beforehand, they know we are coming, so imagine our confusion when we had to wait in line yet again.
This time we stayed a bit longer, we danced and drank and enjoyed the company of our friends. Soon it was time to leave for our final destination.
Leaving proved problematic as we couldn't find our buses, many were arriving and none were leaving.  Eventually we found our bus, but we had to stand in the aisle because they didn't have enough buses for all the crawlers. Half cut and standing on a moving vehicle could have proved difficult but we managed by leaning on one another.

We arrived at the Drink, ironically a place where no drinking was to be had. Everyone lined up and then proceeded to crowd around the entrance. Me and my friends were together at this point, but soon the crowd became upset as they continued to stand around waiting without any movement in the line-up. People at the back started pushing forward and we all became crushed together as one giant Halloween monster. A monster with many costumes but no visible form, and lots of growling. I was parted from my friends they somehow fell behind, and a stranger linked her arm in mine hoping that I would keep her warm. I stood there being crushed thinking, so this must've been what going to a Who concert in the 70's felt like. It became more and more dangerous as a drunk rowdy crowd had no concept of the consequences of their actions. My friend texted me from the back saying they wanted out and I should join them, but by this point I was in the alcove of the entrance so close to the door. However I no longer had the taste for dancing let alone doing the monster mash. So I proceeded to push my way out. As I squished my way past many bodies I thought hey this must've been what being born felt like except my head is fully formed and its the only thing not being rushed right now. I got out, and once reunited we proceeded to walk home in the cold.  Once home our sober friend drove us to a restaurant and we had a late night dinner, where I ate the best onion rings ever, they were so good that I honestly cannot remember what the main dish was.

All in all the pub crawl was a disaster but the ending was fantastic because we laughed and talked and ate delicious onion rings.

1 comment: