Friday, November 26, 2010

Girlfriend in a Coma... I know it's serious

Today I don't have any memories that are popping up as being super significant. I just thought I would update the blog as I haven't been on in awhile.

Right now I'm reading Douglas Coupland's Girlfriend in a Coma and I find i have a hard time putting it down because he is such a great writer and it's a mash-up story about a group of friends, one of which falls into a 17year coma, and the rest of them, not asleep, move through life in an awake coma like state. They fail to develop into adults, and when the one friend wakes from her coma she still feels 17 even though she is now 34. The story takes a drastic turn after that and turns into an apocalyptic warning that makes it even more difficult to put down.
I just really like the way Coupland see's the world and looks at the future. After reading many of his books, certain themes ring out. The future is now, the grouping of friends/ people (the need for them to survive), the constant search for meaning in this world (with traces of existentialism), and just a completely different viewpoint from my own. I wish I thought like Coupland, but I also am happy I don't.
I don't know how he continues to create when he sees disaster coming. He presents a cynicism and satirical look at the world with the potential for hope and I don't know how he does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment