Thursday, October 21, 2010

Childhood

I've been absent from posting anything in a long while because I've been wandering down this stream of aimlessness for about a year now. No focus, no money, and no real desire to pursue much of a career.
Where did my creativity go? Somehow it disappeared and in it's place there I planted stress. Last night I watched a film by a local Regina filmmaker called "My Dinner With Generation X" it resonated with me. Little did I know that my birth year placed me within this generation's label. To the filmmaker however Generation X was reserved for people born within 1961 - 1969. They were the disenfranchised, and directionless, they were the result of being neglected in childhood and they are the ones wandering aimlessly, but not without purpose, in life. I found that I was able to relate to these people in the film and that my childhood didn't feel much different than the ones they were describing, and my adulthood is beginning to resemble something like theirs.

Instead of continuing down this path of directionless self-pity that i've been wallowing in for the last 6 months I've decided that my postings on this wall are going to be a mixture of childhood memories, and things that have and will shape my life. The future is now, or at least a second from now, and if I can't be generation X and I must somehow have a label, I would like to take Douglas Coupland's new novel titled Generation A and apply it to who I am. It's fitting that he's given a new name to another generation, and in reality I probably don't really represent it, but what I gathered from his novel was that these people who live without real contact are in the middle of a world they grew up in and a world that has changed so drastically that it is barely recognizable.

I feel that I am in this middle ground. I was part of a generation that can remember a time before internet, and grew up to be technologically inclined, yet not quite as immersed in it as children of the millennium are. Where our environment was not yet needing to be saved, but it was on its way.

I feel like I am in the future, yet only as an observer, not quite a participant.

No comments:

Post a Comment